Wednesday, May 27, 2009

About that knitting...

When I started this I meant to talk about knitting and spinning but it doesn't seem like I've done much of that. So here goes.

Ever wondered what type of knitter you are? Are you a follower, following the pattern word for word, always trusting the designer or a modifier, modify as you go, you like the pattern but not the yarn or the heels or the toes or whatever? I seem to use patterns for inspiration, modifying more than following. This make for some interesting knitting sessions.

Here's the story of two scarves.

From the new book "Knit One Below" by XRX Publishing I knit the Inside-Out Scarf. This one I modified the yarn used. I wanted to use the new Mini Mochi because I liked the color. So this yarn is like a hundred times smaller the any of the yarns called for and that I'd have to cast-on a gazillion stitches. Maybe not such a good idea. I broke down and went with a yarn the pattern called for, Noro Kureyon. Now I know there are a lot of people who just love Noro. I ain't one 
of them. I can't stand this yarn and I know I don't like it but I try it again and a again. I got about a quarter of the way into the scarf and realized there was no way I was going to finish with this yarn. They say a third time is a charm. This time I tried Manos Del Urguay Silk Blend. This yarn is just heaven to knit with. I did CO a few extra but it finished beautifully.


The second scarf, Mable's Scarf by Larissa Brown was a pleasure to knit from the begining. I used Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted, Color-Pioneer. My SIL had given me this yarn for X-mas. I only had one skein so it's shorter that I like but a great lenght for a guy. I think I'll give it to my brother for X-mas. I had such a good time knitting this one that I started another one, same yarn, the color-verve.

No comments:

Post a Comment