Tuesday, September 20, 2011

It's hard to save.

Whether it's saving money for a rainy day or saving time for a rainy day it's hard to save.
I am one of the few lucky one that get both sick time and vacation time. When I was young I took off every chance I got, but now I'm starting to worry about the future.

We've had several people around here who have needed to take extended leaves to recover from surgeries and I wonder how they can afford to do that. I mean if you didn't/couldn't work for 3 to 6 months how do the bills get paid? Not to mention all of the associated health care costs. One guy I know, who has good insurance, his cut of the hospital stay alone was $40,000. (That's after insurance.) I mean who's got 40 grand laying around. I still can't afford to replace the aging dishwasher that died two years ago.

I know I should be saving more money for my retirement plus making sure to be able to cover the health care costs associated with getting older. After making sure there's enough for the current bills there's not much left over and I'm one of the lucky ones, I still have a job and a home. It all could be gone in a blink of an eye.

It all gets overwhelming some times.

What brought on this post is Mischief, my oldest cat, is failing and I need to take a day off to have the vet come to the house. If we need to put her to sleep it's easier than going to a vet's office and then trying to drive home with tears in my eyes.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem, I will put money in savings, try to leave it there, but something ALWAYS comes up to drain it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish it was our middle class politicians thought about when they make promises and it never pans out to be.

    ReplyDelete