Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Tomaotes, A summer time treat?

I always think of fresh tomatoes as a summer time treat. We always had fresh home grown tomatoes when I was growing up. We even had the at Thanksgiving thanks to my grandfathers green house.
Any way it took me moving away to realise that all tomatoes are not the same. I'd come home to visit in the summer and make a bee line to my fathers tomato patch and pull one off the vine and eat it right there.
This year is the first time I've ever tried to grow my own tomatoes. We got them into the ground late and what with the cold spring and late start to summer I thought we'd never have any ripe ones. I just had to be patient and wait a bit.
I have lots of ripe tomatoes now. Of the six types I started with so far the yellow Darwin's are my favorite with the chocolate strip, a super dark red with greenish tops, coming in second. We also have some a 1884, two beefsteak plants and a green zebra. Haven't had a green zebra yet but I hope to this week.
Pictures here.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Bring some to Mim's on Friday and we have a tomato tasting, kinda like wine only different.

    ReplyDelete