Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The money habit

This new habit that I wanted to develop is not the easiest thing I've ever done. I had gotten into the habit of being able to buy, within reason, anything I wanted and not have to worry about the consequences. I had enough money to make the bills and stuff.


What I didn't have was a good handle on where the money was going.


Then in 2009 I noticed that this way of thinking wasn't working any more. We weren't saving any more. In fact every time I put money into the savings account I would end up using it later in the month to cover something else.


I've been using Quicken and it's ability to categorize things better and I am more aware when I spend but it's not easy. I am having a hard time telling my self no when I want to get something. Like a ball of yarn for a project I'm working on or The YarnHarlot's new day-to-day calendar. I am dealing with feelings of sadness. I work hard I should be able to have what I want and stuff like that. I keep telling my self the buying those things, even those they are small items, they do add up and don't contribute to my goals.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, you and me are in the same boat, sistah! There was a time when any ole' thing I wanted, I got. Now, well, not working really puts a crimp in the disposable income.

    Good luck with your endeavor, and I will keep on cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete